Sunday, June 17, 2007

What I didn't know about pattern copyright

I started wondering about the copyrights on the patterns I was using and whether I'd be able to call the finished products my own in order to resell them. I was aware that the patterns themselves were the property of the copyright owner and would remain that way. Little did I know that in most cases, the finished product from a copyrighted pattern is also not allowed to be resold. I may gift or donate as many of most of them as I would like. As examples: Leisure Arts expressly forbids the resale of the finished products from any of their patterns. Crochet Kim allows the resale of the products made from her free patterns as long as they are not mass produced and you ask permission. Two other sites that gave me useful information to set me on my path were here and here. My best advice would be to determine the exact copyright information on the patterns you are using before you spend the time working on the project, only to find out you can't legally sell it, or worse, get caught reselling something and then get into big trouble for copyright infringement. I guess I just got into the pattern design business!!

No comments: